We Support the Autism Community
We Support the Autism Community
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), also called “autism,” is a developmental disorder that causes issues with written and spoken language, as well as with verbal, social, and motor skills. Individuals with autism have nonstandard social, communication, and behavioral development.
It is estimated that more than 3.5 million Americans live with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
We strongly feel these people deserve a chance to hold stable, fulfilling jobs. We support the community both by employing those with Autism Spectrum Disorder and by offering special discounts on our products to non-profits and other organizations who also have a commitment to the community.
Why we hire individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
The fact that a person has autism does not make them unemployable or less of an asset to a company. In fact, in many cases, the opposite is true. Adults with autism make up a valuable group of potential employees. Our employed adults living with ASD possess:
- Greater competence in daily living skills
- Improved decision-making
- Higher-quality relationships with others
- Possess greater quality control capabilities
- Bring alternative points of view and solutions to our workplace
- Have pride in their daily tasks
Our society often does not give those with autism the recognition for their abilities that they deserve. Once we embrace the quirks of behavior and social interaction, we find able, intelligent people who are interested in doing a job and doing it well.
Adults with autism may very well be the most disadvantaged disability group in the American workplace. According to a recent study, only 14 percent of adults with autism hold paid jobs in their communities. These people should have as much of a chance to get and hold a job as anyone who does not have this additional challenge to overcome.
At Half Price Banners, we understand the drive of these members of our community to overcome adversity, and we're made better by welcoming them into our staff. There's strength in being able to see the full potential in all of our team, and being on the autism spectrum should never disqualify individuals from being valued and appreciated by the community.
Benefits of hiring people from the autism community:
- Tap into a frequently overlooked and under-appreciated pool of highly qualified potential employees.
- You’re likely to find the right fit for one or more jobs within your company.
- People with autism are as productive as other employees and have absentee rates lower than or equal to others.
- People with autism can be highly creative, talented, and innovative.
- Almost half (44%) of children identified with ASD have average to above average intellectual ability.
- Hiring individuals with autism has a positive impact on morale, retention, and corporate culture.
- According to a national consumer survey, 92% of Americans view companies hiring people with disabilities such as autism disorder more favorably than those who don’t.
- The same survey states that 87% of consumers would prefer to give their business to companies who hire people with disabilities.
- 5% of consumers would be willing to switch to a brand associated with a good cause.
The statistics quoted above show that Americans appreciate companies that are willing to step out a little to give a helping hand to those who find it more difficult to find work due to the stigma surrounding a disability like autism.
Supporting those in the autism community
When you do business with Half Price Banners, you are working with a company that supports all affected by autism. First, we address the long-term problem of finding employment for adults living with autism. Secondly, Half Price Banners provides high-quality custom signs, vinyl banners, and feather flags to individuals and organizations advocating for those affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder. Being in the signage business means that we're able to help others spread their message, and we're proud to offer significant discounts to those helping this cause.
For non-profits within the autism community and other organizations with a commitment to the community, you can reach out to us for special discounts typically ranging from 15% to 40% off, but may even be provided at no cost depending on the organization and occasion. For an immediate discount without reaching out to us, everyone is able to use the coupon code ASD10 at checkout for 10% off their purchases. We'd also be proud to share images of your banners being used on our Facebook page.
At Half Price Banners we have a passion to hire the individual based solely on their qualifications to do the job, and of course this includes inviting to our ranks quality people with autism. We strongly recommend other companies do the same.